< prev   |   next >

Sheldon Church Prince Williams Parish Church "Sheldon Church was burned by General Augustine Prevost's British troops in May 1779. The church was rebuilt in 1826 and was given the name of Sheldon Church of Prince William's Parish.

Sherman’s 15th corps under General John Logan burned Sheldon Church on Jan. 14, 1865. This was considered part of Sherman's "march from the sea" as he crossed South Carolina from Savannah."

The church was never rebuilt after Sherman burned it, but the columns of the church still remain erect today to remind us of what our treasured historical places had to endure during this crossing of the state by Union troops at the close of the war.
< prev   |   next >
  HomeUSA the East • Georgia • '07 Feb: Savannah and Charleston  





© 2014 • WhereTheHeckIsMom.com